Sunday, June 2, 2013

European Drugstore Mascaras vs. the American Way

Hi everyone! =)

I'm here to talk about something I never really thought of, even though I always knew about it.
I read other blogs and watch lots of hauls on youtube and I noticed that mascaras in American drugstores come in a special package - like this.
Everytime I saw that I never really paid much attention to it but I remember I thought it was a neat idea because you see the wand and no one else can open it, only you after you buy it.

In European drugstores, at least where I'm from (Central Europe), you buy mascaras like this:

Yes, you can see to wand, you can even touch it, IF the mascara is new to the drugstore, then they move it to the other mascaras from that sort of a small display place or how to call it and the only way how to see the wand is so..well, open it and have a look. Which can make the mascara completely worthless. Why? Imagine 20 people checking out one mascara. It's exposed to a lot of air and it slowly dries out. But... Would you buy a mascara if you had no idea about how the wand looks like? Me neither.

I think this is a huge mistake that our drugstores do. Everytime I buy a mascara, I take one that is not the first one in the row and then check its wand (because once I bought a mascara WITHOUT a wand. They of course exchanged it but what the hell, dm...). The other thing is that I sometimes notice women "trying" out some testers in the bigger mirror and you can see they're not just testing it, they basically came there to do their makeup. How can you be sure they used the tester one and not the one for sale? The only difference between those is one small sticker with "TESTER" on it, which you can overlook by accident, and another thing is that not all the products have testers so you need to be extra careful. So... Buying a mascara someone else used before? Great. How can you prevent it if there's no additional packaging and anyone can open it?
I noticed in Rossmann drugstore that some of the Collosal Volum' Express mascaras by Maybelline had additional foil on them. But ... They didn't have any "testers" out, so I couldn't see how the wand looked like, not even at the back of the mascara because there was a paper over the place where Maybelline kindly puts at least an image of how the wand looks like. So - it was Rossmann's loss. I didn't buy a mascara there, because I didn't want to risk it.

The other thing that makes me wonder is that even with additional packaging, which has to make the mascara a tad more expensive, the mascaras in Europe are always more expensive.

I hope that someone does something about this because it is not very sanitary and the product has lower value if people check it out to see what it actually is. But that would probably only make the product even more expensive ... Ah..

What do you think about this? You can tell me in the comments how the mascaras are sold in your country. If you're from Central Europe, would you pay more for a mascara if it had the additional packaging in order for it to be cleaner and completely fresh?

Thanks for reading!

Lena

4 comments:

  1. additional packaging seems to me a little... enviromentaly unfriendly.. :) And i must admit i'm one of those who open the mascara and look on the wand before buying - because everyone is doing it. :D maybe you should give our central european drugstores some advice - to put one wand in the first row for everyone to see it or something like this. And well, there's another solution: we can also google how the wand of mascara that we want to buy looks like. :)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, those were my thoughts too when I first saw it a few years back. But least we'd be absolutely sure that the mascara wasn't opened before, or, worse, used. And you're putting it on your lashes, close to your eyes.. That's not sanitary.
      And yes, I do it too. I look at the first one in the row and grab one from the back. I know it's horrible but I'd never buy a mascara without looking at the wand, even after googling it at home (I always google this stuff).
      I think drugstores should always have one clear wand out, with all mascaras. But as I said in the article, they only do it with the new ones. :/
      Thanks for commenting! <3 =)

      Delete
  2. That seems a little...icky. I'm from America, and to be honest, it didn't really occur to me that mascara was packaged any other way:) That's America for ya. We live under our own personal rocks.
    But anyway, I also lived in India for 3 years, and they didn't have this problem either. I think the reason was that they always had a beauty COUNTER with a TECHNICIAN behind said counter, even in drugstores. Which is a little weird. But basically they have testers and if you want the technician will let you test stuff out and then they reach behind the counter and grab a fresh, new, tightly packaged product that has never been touched.
    So really. The fact that people pre-sample (as in ACTUALLY WEAR) mascara and then PUT IT BACK...is disgusting.
    <3 your videos!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an interesting thing they have going on in India. I think that really assures you that you have a fresh product. Not like here ... Which is sad.. :/
      Thank you so much, I'm so glad you like them <3 =)

      Delete