Monday, October 15, 2012

Autumn: Let's Talk About SPF... Wait... What?


Hey everyone!

Some of you may be asking after seeing the title.. What? SPF? But the summer is long gone..
Yes, the summer may be over but the sun is up in the sky, shining on us and affecting our skin =)

As a huge anti-tan fan, I always try to learn more about how to protect my skin from the sun. It's been a few summers that I engaged in the process of putting sunscreen all over the parts of my body that were going to be revealed. But you shouldn't stop at the end of September, when the summer is "officially" over.

The sun rays are present all the time. Whether it's summer or winter. Of course, using SPF 50 in the winter is kinda useless. And don't be fooled by the clouds. If you think about it, people usually get sunburn in the summer when it's cloudy. I remember one summer a long time ago when my whole family got sunburn because we idiots were lying on the beach when it was cloudy and didn't really think about SPF because you know, it's not that hot = I don't need to protect myself from the sun. WRONG.

Even though the sun rays are significantly weaker during autumn and winter, they still have an impact on our skin. What I would recommend is buying a moisturizer/day cream with SPF 15/10/... Nowadays you can even find foundations / BB creams with SPF. Always find something that works for you, that you know you'll do every time you expose your skin to the sun and doesn't feel like a burden. I got so used to sunscreen that I don't even think about it as an extra step in my routine.

Most of my friends think I'm crazy but right now I don't leave my house without SPF 25 on my face. I have to admit that the reason why I use 25 is that I don't have anything with lower SPF (I only have 25, 30 and 50 :D). And the sunscreens with lower SPF (even the 25) aren't that dense so you can even use it as your "day cream". After I apply my SPF, I go straight to my primer and concealer. If you are going to use both sunscreen and a day cream, make sure to use the sunscreen first, so your skin can react with the product and make a protective layer. Your skin will thank you in a few years =)

Hope this article is going to help some of you to think twice about your skin vs. the sun. We don't want to look like 60 year old wrinkly ladies when we're 45 =)

Wishing you a lovely night (don't forget about SPF tomorrow morning! =) )
Lena

No comments:

Post a Comment